Thursday, July 20, 2006

My life is a sham!

I am really enjoying sketching lately, and I hope other people enjoy looking at my art. I recently had a nasty comment about my work and tried to let it roll off me like water off a duck's back, but being the senstive type that I am, it just hasn't happened. But I'm trying to use this blog as a place for fun and not get too bogged down into making everything look good. That's what my website's for. (Well, my new website, when it comes..)
In the end I really can't let nasty comments get to me. I know who I am, and I am a person that is completely all about art. I think about it, I dream about it, I can't get away from it. The comment that someone made recently made me feel like my life was a sham.. because my art is my life... and to comment that my art is untruthful and fake (which they did, in a way) made me feel like a fake.
It wasn't constructive criticism either; just nasty. So why do I let it bother me?
I can't deny that I am an artist at heart. Even if I decided I didn't want to create anything anymore, it would be an impossible thing for me. Unfathomable. Even when I hate my art and think that I suck, I still can't help thinking about what I'll do next. It's a love/hate relationship; bittersweet.. sometimes it's like a disease! I know other artists and creative people will understand where I'm coming from here... and for all those creative people that never struggle in their endevour for creative perfection... what planet did you come from? (Or tell me what medication you're on!)

8 comments:

trophiogrande said...

I always like how a thousand positvei comments can be erased by one negative one. Good post. Your art is great and I love looking at it, go don't let the bastards get you down.

Jules Knoblock said...

Thanks for the nice words throphiogrande :)
It really does hurt when we get nasty comments because we are so emotionally involved in our work.

Sarah said...

here here...good one Jules..It is so true that you are an artist inside and out... you inspire me no end, never let one nasty comment get you down because you are the furtherest thing away from anything un original that i know..hope that makes sense? Ahh the creative path is a lumpy one for sure. :-)

Sweet Pea said...

I never understand why people leave negative comments - if someone's work doesn't appeal to you, go somewhere else,find something you like and leave a nice comment.As Sarah said, the creative path is a lumpy one (hee!) and sharing your art can always be a bit nerve-wracking because you are sharing part of yourself, but it's worth it. Your work is strong, unique and quirky -keep at it! There are plenty of people out here that appreciate you :)

Jules Knoblock said...

Well, all these good comments outweigh the bad 'one'. Thanks guys! I don't need bad comments, I'm already a tough self critic :)
Thanks so much sweet pea for your kind words.

Stacia said...

I think it's better to feel sorry for the person that left the nasty-gram. The "poor thing" probably had a bad moment and misdirected the negative energy towards you. I think that must be the case...because I like your work - so unique and fresh! Cheers!

krissie said...

cover those ears! ure work is lovely.
dont listen to them! BOOOO!!

Auntie Chrissy said...

Don't Listen to the critics Jules your Auntie Chrissy just loves your work and the originals hang pride and place on our walls at home, not a day goes by that we don't think of how good you are and how far you will go, congrats on the book looking forward to that first edition (signed of course pays to be a relative). Keep the ideas coming, need another original for our Wall.
xxxx