Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Painted babushka dolls

Here are some painted babushka dolls I finished today for an upcoming exhibition at the Melbourne Fringe Festival. If you can't read the writing coming from the birds mouth it says "What's it like to be at the top of the food chain?" Could've taken a better shot, but the light just wasn't working for me today..
Now here are some progressive shots showing some of the process. First I got some cheap dolls off ebay. Apologies to the person who actually painted these!Then, I did an extremely quick rough/idea:Then got some guys to do the sucky work for me! After my house warming there were some friends & family that stayed until lunch the next day, so I set them to work.. the guy on the left is my bro Gazza, next to him is his mate Glen, then the other guy is Aaron, my cousin. (After this they discovered an old bottle cutter in my garage that I picked up at an op shop and proceeded to try and cut up some of the empty beer bottles from the night before. The first few were duds, but they got the hang of it in the end..)And here they are all sanded and undercoated, with the little stage that I made for them out of ply wood and mdf. All ready for painting! I then drew on them in water soluble pencils- which I often do before I paint, and if you stuff up you just get a wet tissue and wipe the lines off. It helps take away some of the fear of drawing onto something blank (the balnk canvas syndrome); which we all know can sometimes inhibit the outcome & the freshness of a drawing.

7 comments:

bill said...

what a cool and fun project - it turned out great

Green Kitchen said...

I love the dolls and the backdrop, too. :)

beck wheeler said...

they look great!
Im working on mine at the mo....im doing the little old lady that swallowed a fly.
Maybe we will finally meet at the opening night.

Majeak Ann said...

there are fantastic!....great dolls!
-Marjorie

Hanna said...

Wow, they are wonderful and so fun, those monsters! Thanks for sharing the process too, it was interesting to read it!

mimu said...

I love the babushka dolls. You have inspired me to make my own. I found a place you can buy blank dolls, I'd love to think I could follow your process but I doubt I could convince my brother to sand them for me! http://www.keithandlottie.com/

Jade said...

i love your babushkas, too!