Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Thirsty Flowers



Thought I'd post about the upcoming book which I have illustrated, written by one talented Tony Wilson from Triple R radio station in Melbourne. The publisher is Hardie Grant Egmont and you can learn more about the book and listen to a recorded message from Tony here. He's also got a couple of verses from the book there, spoken in true Aussie poet style.



Here's a sneak peak of a section from one of the pages.. this dog was loosely based on a Weimaraner I took care of for some months whilst I was living in Sydney. The dog's not really the shape of ol' Tessy, but is the colour. There's also a guy in the book, who is somewhat of a "yobbo." I'm not going to say he is based on anyone specifically, but lets just say we artists pick up inspiration from what is close to us!



The book is due out in October, and being my first Children's book it's all quite exciting, so I'm sure I'll post about it again later on. It's a great story and I'm looking forward to it's release.

9 comments:

Majeak Ann said...

wow! congratulation on your first children's book!!
..it's amazing.
you have very expressive illustrations here, that I'm sure kids are going to love this book. And the colors..are just great.
:) Thanks for sharing!

-Marjorie Ann

dex mission said...

congrats on your first book. youre work is really fresh and interesting. i love the colors the most. best of luck!

natascha said...

The book looks great!

FlinkFink said...

Super artwork! So cool to see work before it's published. I showed the drawings to my son (3,5 years old). He loved them and had lots of questions. "Is that a super-cactus? Is that man a villain? Why are the floers so thirsty? etc". We look forward to reading your book! Good luck!

Jules Knoblock said...

I'm glad it has triggered your kids curiosity flinkfink! I hope you do enjoy reading it and answering all those good questions!
Thanks for all your nice comments ;)

Jordan said...

Hey there Jules...

Congratulations on the book!!!!! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. :)

The pics are fantastic, your work really does just keep getting better and better.

Cheers,
Jordan

groovyinclinations said...

Wow, great work and congrats :) What is your medium of choice?

Mindy Wilson

Jules Knoblock said...

My medium of choice is: Acrylics. I'm too lazy to use oils, and I love how you can build up texture and mess around with acrylics and achieve a built-up result in a short space of time. By built up I mean textures and layers of paint. :)

joze22 said...

wow its awesome!
very nice drawings!
:)