Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Illustration Friday "Invention"

So here's this weeks Illustration Friday. I just started doodling and this is what came about. I did start another one previously, which is here too, as I thought it was a pretty cool invention. Though I am yet to work out what either of these things actually do- but it's pre-tea & too early in the morning. Maybe you know what they do!?
I have been working flat out on some illustration jobs, using my new wacom drawing tablet and corel paint. What painty/drawy programs do other people use? I've just downloaded the trial version of paint, and so far I'm having fun with it so I might purchase it when the trial period is over. Although I love to play around and draw on the computer, I still think nothing beats the tangible nature of paint. I've been feeling like I want to get my oils out again.. it's like a calling. It may be a disaster though.. I get it everywhere, and am too used to the quick drying time of acrylics so I get impatient. I think I need to get them out though- even if just for fun. I went through a stage earlier this year painting weird scary pictures with a realistic feel. I don't know why, I guess I was inspired by similar works of this nature. I'm over that phase now though, and the paintings are gathering dust.
I see blogger has a new version or something. This is news to me.. I'm too scared to change over my account as I don't have time to fix up any bugs that may appear. Is it safe??

Link love: I've wanted to add Cheeky Beaks to my link list for a while now. She's an aussie designer, and I like reading her blog.

11 comments:

Shell said...

I so love your illustrations and this one is no exception.

Get the oils out! Do it! I used to struggle with oils a lot, but something happened mid year - I kind of 'let go' with them and stopped using them how I thought I was supposed too. And now I LOVE using them. I get annoyed at acrylics now because they dry too fast for me.

If they are calling you, give them another go. I bet you have fun even if you don't like the results.

I give realism a shot every now and then but I'm crap at proportion and I get so frustrated that it makes painting no fun for me. Loose and abstract all the way for me! Besides, I'm all about colour mixing anyway - I'm really not too concerned with form.

I'm impressed at your ability to draw on the computer. I'm so lame at digital stuff it's embarassing, but they are skills I wish I had (and I have no inclination to learn!).

Emila Yusof said...

Nice illustrations! Good job!

Michelle Lana said...

Lovely work!

Lara said...

Send that gadget to The Collectors and they'll figure it out in their mystery gadget section ;)

Love the illo :)

Anja said...

Hello Julie, nice illo like always and I want to tell you that I love reading your stories. Please go on writing about your life...

Katrine K said...

I really like your drawings too!
I also wonder what is that Beta...?
I use Photoshop and love it. But I long to do more hand-work as well. But the good thing about Photoshop and wacom set is that you can scan all your hand-drawn scetches and do lot`s of things with them...

scribblesk said...

Very organic and ecofriendly looking! Love your stuff!

Jeannette said...

Don't switch to Beta, it has caused me a lot of trouble.

and nice work!

Jules said...

Cool invention! I draw by hand. Scan in and fiddle and then colour in photoshop with wacom. I have Corel Painter but I hate it. I used to LOVE Fractal Painter but then they sold to Corel and nothing is the same, sigh.

Sandra B said...

Hi I am another Australian. I use my wacom with Photoshop, which I adore. I have been using it many years but I am still learning something new all the time. I love your illustrations BTW, use the oils, it a buggar that they take so long to dry. I have only just started to paint again, after a huge lapse of time, I didn't realise that I love it so much.

scribblydoodler said...

Great picture! I can't draw on a computer, but I can draw on paper, so I scan in my line drawing and colour it in with photoshop, using the trackpad on my laptop. I've forgotten how to paint traditionally now, and I envy people who can. I switched to beta with no problems, but then, I didn't have much of a blog to start with.