Thursday, November 09, 2006

Say no to backyard breeders


With Christmas coming up, and having had first hand exprience of seeing where unwanted dogs end up, I thought it was a timely reminder to alert people once again to this overwhelming problem. The good folks at Pet Talk Radio! started up their own campaign & they have been gathering signatures for the cause. Please go to saynotobackyardbreeders.com to learn more about this campaign and to sign the petition. Approximately 130,000 dogs and 60,000 cats are killed at pounds every year in Australia.
My very own Bender was heading for the pound before we rescued him. He is a fantastic dog; he's one of those dogs that make people want to get their own. I've had so many people tell me they want a dog just like him. I often think about the family that gave him up because they had to move house.. and think that they gave away possibly the best dog I know. There are many excuses for surrendering pets, some legitimate, though many are not. I have lived in 5 different rental properties with two large dogs, moving to and from different states, and not once was it even an option to rehome my dogs. I also know that having a baby is another excuse frequently used. I know a couple that rescue staffy's, and they had twins recently and still kept all their dogs and continued rescuing aswell.
If you are going to get a dog, make sure you research the breed well, get a dog to suit your lifestyle and circumstances. Don't get a border collie if you are a couch potato. Don't get a large breed dog if you only have a court yard. Don't get a dog if you can't afford the food/ medications/ vet bills. Don't ever buy a dog on impulse.
So here are my two 'furbabies.' Bender is the black one and the other is Leela. I love these dogs to death. Maybe it's time for me to get back in to volunteering for rescue again...

8 comments:

tiel S-K said...

great point about the vet bills. Quite often they can be far greater than the price you paid for the dog, but if you love them enough, then it is worth it.

Sarah Davis said...

Looks like they love each other to bits too - and that you're giving them a very happy life.

Jules Knoblock said...

Actually, this photo is an extremely rare photo! Usually Bender HATES Leela sleeping with him- they have more of a brother-sister type relationship! So when I saw this, I just HAD to get the camera! In the 3 years I've had these two- this is the first time they've slept like this, lol!

And yes tiel s-k, I often hear people that don't take their pets to the vet when they need attention because they say they can't afford it.. so I wonder why someone gets a pet they can't afford in the first place. Plus, when there's a will, there's a way. There are cheaper options out there and places that will help if people just ask. My Mum had to stop working because of chemotherapy- and she still took her dog to the vet, and the vet worked out a payment system for her.

Daisy Edwards said...

Aren't they just so loveable! I completely agree with what your saying, we have two gorgeous boys that are my two babies. I love them to death. My little Bob was also on his way to the pound if he couldn't be rehomed (and he was only 3 months old, the poor thing) and he is the coolest dog I know, everyone wants him.
I'm glad there are people out there that do care about their animals as much as their human counterparts!

Lara said...

Hehee, I love their names. Very apt since 10 is playing Futurama back to back to back these days. Worked for me - I'm totally into it now :)

Jules Knoblock said...

Yes, Lara, it's only now that people ask us if we named them after the Futurama characters ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to work across the street from our local animal shelter so I would see them haul out dead animals on the kill days. It would break my heart every time.

I can not adpot 50 cats and dogs to try to save them all but I have to do my part in some small way. I have 3 wonderful boys, all from the shelter. 2 of my boys appear to be purebred boston terriers. You can find any kind of dog that you want at the shelter if you are willing to watch for one. We looked for about 6 months on petfinders before we found a boston terrier in driving distance.

Marie

Jules Knoblock said...

True, there are rescue orgs for all types of specific breeds. I too wish I had more time to look after more dogs!!! Though in all fairness it would be too stressful on Bender with more dogs, Leela annoys the hell outta him as it is! I am also a firm believer in being able to care for the pets you have ;)
I think it's important to help out in any way you can.. so I'm thinking I'm going to do a dog painting soon and sell the prints and give all the profits to a rescue org.