Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Gocco fun with Dad

The finished print and the process! I am no longer a gocco virgin! Dad is on holidays and he came up for a couple of days for ping pong, darts and gocco madness.
So I put him to work. Dad's good at mixing colours- he's a printer by trade so he's well experienced with all this kind of stuff. Lucky him got the messy job! See I had the manual all set out in front of me making sure we knew exactly what to do. I always like to read a manual a few times so I really know what I'm doing. I'm a manual studying freak.
Get back to work!!
Here goes nothing...
Woohoo! It was so exciting to see the print worked. It was also interesting to see the problems we had and the things I'd do differently for my next design. Our colours ended up bleeding into each other where I couldn't put the ink blockout stuff. (For anyone that's familiar with gocco printing.)
Here they are drying in the racks. I am glad I finally got to use this little contraption.. I kept waking up all night thinking of what I'm going to do with it next.. now that I am more familiar with the whole process. We had a great time. Dad loves printing and all that sort of stuff so it was fun for the whole family. Thanks for your help Dad!

When I woke thismorning I had TWO packages in the mail- oh joy! I love mail! Especially when it's from people like Apak and Ashley G. It was nice to see Apak's gocco prints close-up since I've just done my own... and Ashley's buttons are to die for.
'Til next time...

13 comments:

beck wheeler said...

so you read the manual aye....im allergic to such things and so gocco printing took a bit longer to learn.
How fun is it!!

Jules Knoblock said...

It's bloody ace fun, I am hooked!

Carolyn said...

Love your prints! I just love your style... it's so unique and quirky and darling all at once!

Shell said...

I think it's so great that you did this with your dad! Great design too. Love it.

Cheeky Beaks said...

Well done on cracking open the Gocco. Look forward to seeing all those ideas that keep you awake at night!

Lara said...

Awesome!!! It's great that you've finally used the Gocco! I love the print - very cute, and I'm SO jealous that you can do this sort of thing with your dad. My dad is a mathematician and has no interest in creative stuff, sadly :(

P.S. - you've been tagged on my blog to do '5 things' :P

Valentina Bosso said...

They end up beautifuly! Your father is great helping you like that and having fun painting!
Bye!

Valentina Bosso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
futuregirl said...

Your dad is awesome! He half looks like he's having the time of his life (look at the ink all over his fingers) and half looks like he's all business (see his face in the last picture, " ... Just another day in the salt mine ... ").

You guys must have had a blast. :) I can't wait to see what else you gocco. The 'you're awesome' prints are great ... what are you going to do with them?

annalaura said...

I'm with Lara, my Dad is a farmer, although I remember when I was in Year 12 he helped me with a lot of arty things like welding and making canvas frames so I can't totally complain.

What does he have in the stubby holder. I hope it is a Melbourne Bitter.

Jules Knoblock said...

Dad loves printing and stuff... he didn't want to wash the ink of his hands, he liked it there! :) I think we were drinking carlton draughts... he does drink melbournes too though!
I would like to sell some gocco prints in my shop, though the ink did bleed on these so I might do this design again as two seperate screens. (Some of the colours were too close together)
Dad usually gets creative with making stuff for his mini train set ;) he's ace at colour mixing.

benconservato said...

OH!
I am still waiting for my coverted Gocco... you have made me want it even more now! It looks like you had heaps of fun, and... well, I want everything!

Anonymous said...

I love your things! I'm an avid screenprint and lino printer myself but hadn't heard about Gocco before - but now I just have to find out more about it.
Paulina
www.220voltage.net