Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Interactive Project Stage 5 Complete


Hello!
So here’s stage 5 suggested by Renee's 8 year old daughter who requested red, pink & blue flowers. I now need another 10 suggestions. Read all the rules for the interactive project here. All entries go into the draw to win the final painting!

I have been slacker than usual with my blogging and it’s really getting to me. I’m trying to get back into the habit of regular posts.. I just had a lull but I think I’m back into it now. Actually, I had a lull with my artwork too. Working as a creative person has its ups & downs, (as I’m sure most jobs do!) though sometimes it’s hard to do work when you’ve no inspiration and you feel like all your work is crap! I think I put a lot of pressure on myself, and I buckle when I don’t live up to my own expectations.
I read a good quote in Craft magazine (I think it was in an ad): “My hands get jealous of all the work my mind does.” God that’s so true! If I could just figure out this telekinesis thing I’ll be alright.

You know what brought me out of it though? I was reading the black apple’s blog, (which I love) and her gorgeous new fashiony blog and was so inspired by her decorating habits, that it really made me feel like I should just get off my lazy butt and do something. Her hedgehog themed bathroom especially inspired me. So adorable! I now have an urge to redecorate the house and clean it until it’s all organised. Like lyrics from a Radiohead song.. “Everything.. in it’s right place…” Wouldn’t that be nice? I need to see some storage ideas especially for my studio as it’s quite small. Anyway, looking through her blog I was transported to a fabulous shop called anthropology. I could cry because I have been searching for the perfect bed ‘outfit’ for AGES and I have found it in this shop. Not only would it be more expensive for me to buy because it’s in the US, but they don’t ship overseas! If any of you Aussie people out there know where I can find unique and different bedding, please let me in on your shopping secrets! It’s gonna be hard to find one that lives up to this one though. I am in love with it!! Check it out here.

Linky love: Future Girl has the coolest sweetest little octopus pattern for sale. If you haven’t already seen it, check it out!

12 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

Glad you're back, Jules! I love the flowers - so pretty : )

I think alot of creative people have very productive times and then lulls. I know I do. It's like we need to re-charge or something.

For the interactive project - I could see some text in those background spaces... maybe something very faint that becomes part of the background texture.

Have a great day!

Best -

Jenn : )

futuregirl said...

I think the background could use a little something ... maybe a snowcapped mountain.

Thanks for the linky love! :) You're the best.

cathygaubert said...

the painting is looking fabulous, julie! i love the addition of the flowers; what a clever girl!
i think that i will stick with my request for leaves on the tree, made out of fabric or felt and with some handstitching. although, a hedgehog (a la the black apple) would be pretty wonderful, too. i once had a hedgehog...mine was definitely not sweeter in real life. :)

Anna said...

Oo Ooh exciting! that looks so cute! I would like to see a duck holding a woven basket full of some of those pink and red flowers.

I understand the creative-y thing of work vs. inspiration- designers/artists block is no fun! I think the comment you read from the craft mag is so true- I remember when I was in design school that my work books would always contain alot of written ideas- simply because my mind would race ahead of my drawing! :)

My flat is also going through a redecorating stage- we have had flatmates move out and everything is looking a little spartan. I am kind- of looking forward to being able to recover our new old 60's retro couch! it is all good to be able to change your environment :)

dizzyjadey said...

I love anthropologie, too, but sadly also live in oz (the ass-end of the earth...and a lovely one it is!).......how about some forest animals listening in to the story?

Renee :) said...

Ok,I'm going to try this again since my first post didn't go through....my 2nd daughter,age 10 picked this lovely idea...a baby panda climbing the tree. :) We love how the pic is coming out...we also love the bags/purses....how cute!
Renee

Jules Knoblock said...

Waiting on 4 more suggestions...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... definitely something in the background... some hills with a little stream maybe?

Mumma Ruthie :)

Chickengirl said...

I love Anthropologie and everytime I go in I dont want to leave! That is really too bad they dont ship overseas.

I was thinking one of those carnival tents or a quilted tent in your painting. I love the interactive-ness to this!

LD said...

weird suggestion: Maybe we back up a bit and realize the entire scene is encapsulated in a bigger "bubble" like the "bubble" that surrounds the two center figures.

The wall of that larger bubble would distort the far-away landscape in cool ways.

Bruno Nunes said...

Cute illustrations!!!

Jules Knoblock said...

ok.. I've got my ten now... thanks all!!