Monday, May 07, 2007

Illustration Friday Topic Neighbour & Street Art

Excuse the Aussie addition of "U" in the spelling here my overseas friends!
I did this little number in my moleskine sketch book last night whilst Jim watched episodes of Family Guy and Futurama. I like sitting at my desk whilst he's in the lounge room.. we're not doing something together but the company is still there & is a nice change from my lonely days painting and drawing by myself. It does teach you to enjoy your own company though, and my many friends on the internet help to alleviate the feeling of being isolated.
Anyway, this pic has no meaning really, it was just a mindless doodle that evolved as I was doing it. I used pen, pencil & paint, then sealed the whole thing with gloss. Too bad the pen seeped through and ruined a drawing on the other side of the page...


Here's a cool sticker/ street art I found whilst hanging out in the Blue Mountains NSW sometime last year. We were walking around some bush tracks and stopped to sit on a seat and take in the view. Someone had stuck this sticker to the chair (I think, from memory) and I had my sketch book with me so I nabbed it and stuck it on the back cover. I like street art. Jim is not a fan, as he is rather pragmatic and finds that people should not be doing illegal things and that the owners of the buildings/ walls should have a say in what goes on there. Fair enough, but we're not about to stop it happening and I say we may as well enjoy it. I like that people out there are putting creative work around for other people to see.. showing that there is culture, individuality and independent thought still around in this time of mainstream trends and mass marketing. Tagging though is another story, that I don't like and find it equivalent to littering.
I just wanted to share this little pic with you though, been meaning to put it here for ages and only just got around to it.

Talking about things I've been meaning to do, basically this is how I live my life everyday. Trying to catch up to the million things I want to do on an invisible list in my head. I'm trying to get something done or finished every single day. I have made a deal with myself that I can't start any more new paintings until I finish off all of my unfinished projects. Quite a task. This may just mean I can paint over some old pics with white paint, ready for something new. (Sketch book drawings/ paintings do not apply!) I saw a show recently on getting rid of the clutter in your home.. I truly feel if I get rid of the clutter, my head will feel clearer too. I am so inspired, I hope this action lasts and it's not just another phase that I'm going through that will pass soon.

Well, off I go to get some work done. Have a lovely day my bloggy reading friends!

22 comments:

marcisenders said...

Funny illustration!

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

Nice work! I am the weird neighbor. Maybe not yours, but someone's for sure!

Ian said...

Great post! I'm glad I found your blog, as I very much like your work. The sketch is borderline hilarious, and I am jealous of the simplicity you achieved with a biro. Your hand-written script is delightful too.

I really enjoy the sticker you found too, and although I enjoy street art (in an active way) I must admit I struggle with it in the same manner as Jim.

Anna said...

everyone has weird neighbours (mine are obsessed with singstar...)

I so agree with the 'catching up' mentality- I have a list on my blog of the 'catching up things'... and some things have been there for ages! so much for motivation- but life gets in the way..!

YUX said...

Nice...
Your artwork is wonderfull...

Marion said...

Mine are wired too;-)
Cool illo.

Switchsky said...

love this! and the sticker! I love finding/leaving art on the street. a thrill, isn't it?

Katrine K said...

Your drawings are so cool!

Abby Creek Art said...

Great drawing, it made me laugh too.

And I'm going through a "get rid of the clutter" thing as well...so hope we both last!

Holli said...

Ooo! Love your work! Cute Etsy goods too!

Anna said...

Arent Moleskines great? Even though my diary is half art and half accountant..

PS.Oooooh you've been tagged by my blog (I think this is all karma) :)

lil kim said...

Hey Jules! finally found some time to visit some of my favourite blogs and great to see your fun work as usual. I'm really liking your limited colour palette and simplicity of design too. sorry to hear about your nan. hope all else is well. my trip has been amazing - still 2 more months to go!! take care xx

DesigningFairy said...

how very fun and original.

Linda said...

nice to look at and read, funny!

Honor Bowden said...

Very nice for a meaningless doodle! Think they are the most fun.

Michelle Lana said...

You're so funny, Jules! Love the doodle!

Anja said...

Very nice illo. Love the handwriting in the background.

Big A said...

i love it!

arvindh said...

Good one here!

tiel said...

hey julie. I'm not one for watching TV to chill out, but my husband does. So I sit in my study on the computer or do some painting..mind you I've upgraded to a laptop and I'm typing this on the bed while he reads a book to the kids..great escape. And hey, don't apologise for the U..those who don't use it should be saying sorry.

Your illustration on the Copeland May issue looks super. One day I might try to find the time and submit something for them. Keep painting and gocco-ing your wonderful art.

jim bradshaw said...

I loooove this moleskin page. If it was a print, I would buy it. You should do a piece like that for mailmeart.com.

It's been awhile since I have been on your blog. Your stuff is so inspirational. I love how your interactive project came out. Yet another one I would buy if it became a print. Hint hint.

Christiane said...

The text in the background sounds like it's very funny! Love the artwork, too!