Sunday, August 02, 2009

Crafty Time: Patchwork Coasters


Keeping within the sewing category that I have been dabbling in, I have been really drawn to patchwork lately, and thought making some coasters would fulfill this need quickly. (So I can quickly move onto the next project!) Totally inspired by the coasters that Malka from A Stitch in Dye makes, I thought I would try my own but in my own style and colours. (I love her stuff, she inspires me to one day make a big quilt of my own. She is also one of the talented contributors to the Quilts, Baby! book that I am also in.)

Making these coasters was a good way to use up some of my off cuts and scraps of material that I can't seem to be able to throw away. I keep anything that I think I may be able to use one day instead of sending to landfill... environmental, people!

Made a little too late though it seems, as a couple of days before they were finished I left a tea cup stain on one of our tables. Bugger. Anyway, here are the four of them:


Oh, and I received my Ottobre sewing mags! I have already made a dress from one of them, I will take a photo and post it here soon. I am so loving sewing lately. I am loving making personal crafty stuff with no pressure to keep my shop stocked. I do want to get back into that but I sometimes cave under pressure so think I will wait a little longer. I have so many ideas and motivation for the future though.

Next I want to make little pants and another cardie for the nugget, and I'm also thinking of knitting those booties I recently posted about. I'll be buggered if I can stick to my "one project at a time rule", what the hell was I thinking!?

7 comments:

Anna Lloyd said...

These look great, I love the colour combinations and your walls are much improved too! We also had some awful freezes of floral wallpaper in our living room which had to go!!

Fluffels said...

Pretty coaster! I love the colors!

Katrine K said...

These are so lovely, looks fun to make too. -love em!

down pillow said...

I love the colors in these! Very very cute!

Tizzalicious said...

Those are so cute!

Alina Chau said...

THese are beautiful!!

Penny said...

Hi Julie,
Love your patchwork coasters.. you may not thank me but I've found a knitted version of these on the website 'the purl bee' (warning it's a wicked time waster!) but they have a knitted log cabin square they're using as a washcloth, but I think you could knit a heap in your spare time (ha ha my Harry has just turned 6 months and has decided sleep is for suckers!).. and turn them into a blanket! The website is: http://www.purlbee.com/log-cabin-washcloths/ lots of other fun projects! I have also heard giving hens eggshells in their scraps can stop them canabalising each other!
All the best, Penny